Edoardo joined South Square as a tenant in 2016.
During pupillage at South Square, Edoardo was exposed to all of chambers’ core areas of practice, including cross-border and domestic insolvency, banking, company law, commercial litigation and offshore. Notable cases he assisted on as a pupil include the Lehman Brothers Waterfall II Application, Heis v MF Global UK Services Limited in the Court of Appeal, and Primeo Fund v HSBC.
Since being taken on as a tenant, Edoardo has regularly appeared as sole counsel in the High Court and in the County Court on a variety of matters, including on injunctions and applications for summary judgment. He was recently instructed as sole counsel on a claim by a note trustee worth in excess of US$200 million. He is also currently being led on a public law claim against a foreign government and central bank.
Prior to joining chambers, Edoardo gained valuable experience working on the reorganisation of a major bank at McKinsey in Milan, in the Economic Crimes and Governance Division at the Attorney General’s Chambers in Singapore, and at a major law firm in the City. He also marshalled for Mr Justice Dingemans in the High Court.
Edoardo graduated from Oxford University with a Congratulatory First Class degree in Classics, obtaining the second highest mark in his year.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Insolvency and Restructuring
- Re a Company - an application to restrain presentation of a winding up petition raising issues involving implied contracts and contractual set-off. In his judgment, Newey J commented on Edoardo’s “well-constructed submissions”.
- Joanna Lemos v Joint Trustees in Bankruptcy of Christos Lemos - an application for permission to commence a claim under s. 423 IA 1986, stemming from the Court of Appeal’s judgment in Lemos v Lemos  EWCA Civ 1181.
- Re Independent Derivative Traders Limited (In Administration) - a successful application for the temporary appointment of concurrent administrators, the winding up of the company, the concurrent administrators’ discharge and their appointment as joint liquidators
- Lehman Brothers Waterfall II Application - distribution of the circa £7 billion surplus in LBIE’s estate (assisting Antony Zacaroli QC, David Allison QC and Adam Al-Attar)
- LBI hf v UBS - cross-affiliate set-off under the ISDA Master Agreement (assisting Daniel Bayfield QC and Gabriel Moss QC)
- Privatbank  EWHC 3186 (Ch) - scheme of arrangement involving one of Ukraine’s largest banks (assisting Tom Smith QC)
- Lewis (Liquidator of Matrixphotos.com ltd) v Bridger - appeal against the dismissal of a section 236 IA86 application against a former company director (assisting Richard Fisher)
- Bank Sarasin Alpen (ME) - winding up petition before the DIFC Courts (assisting David Allison QC)
- Drafted advice on the validity of charges over an insolvent group’s assets, and the application of BVI avoidance provisions (assisting Richard Fisher).
- Drafted advice on the set-off of contingent debts in the context of schemes of arrangement (assisting Daniel Bayfield QC)
- Drafted advice on the winding up of overseas partnerships (assisting Daniel Bayfield QC)
Banking and Finance
- GSO Credit v Barclays Bank Plc  EWHC 146 (Comm) - construction of LMA standard terms in relation to sale of commitment under surety bonds facility (assisting Tom Smith QC)
- Hayfin Opal Luxco 3 S.A.R.L v Windermere VII CMBS plc - rights of a class of noteholders in Credit Suisse originated commercial mortgage backed securitisation (assisting Stephen Robins and Jeremy Goldring QC)
- Various advices on the rights of noteholders and the legal characterisation of ownership of dematerialised securities.
Commercial Litigation and Arbitration
- Heis v MF Global UK Services Limited  EWCA Civ 569 - existence of an implied contract between MF Global UK and the group services company, obliging former to fund pensions liabilities of latter (assisting Daniel Bayfield QC and Martin Pascoe QC)
- Edgeworth Capital Luxembourg SARL v Maud  EWHC 3464 (Comm) - discharge of a €40 million guarantee as a matter of Spanish insolvency law (assisting William Willson and Mark Philips QC)
- Advising on and settling statements of case in various claims involving alleged breaches of directors’ duties.
- Advised on complex pre-emption rights in articles of association.
- Re Connor Williams Ltd – payment of interim dividends under company’s articles (assisting Stephen Robins)
- Drafted particulars of claim in proceedings against former directors for repayment of loans and breaches of duty (assisting Adam Al-Attar)
- Drafted advice on a ‘change of control’ provision in a partnership agreement (assisting Robin Dicker QC)
- Drafted a Defence to an unfair prejudice petition (assisting William Willson)
- Drafted advice on construction of a director’s indemnity under foreign law (assisting Tom Smith QC)
Civil Fraud and Asset Recovery
- Avonwick Holdings v Shlosberg - unlawful means conspiracy and transactions in contravention of ss. 423 and 238 IA 1986 (assisting Tom Smith QC and Henry Phillips)
- Pine River Master Fund v Castex Technologies - pending share price manipulation claim (assisting Georgina Peters)
International and Offshore
- Primeo Fund v HSBC - $1 billion claim by a Madoff feeder fund for breach of duty against its custodian (assisting Tom Smith QC and Richard Fisher)
- Saad Investments Company Ltd - defence of a multi-billion dollar fraud claim (produced various research notes for Michael Crystal QC, Mark Phillips QC and Marcus Haywood)
- Vigia v Mosvee - claim against a Guernsey trustee and fund administrator, testing the scope of a trustee’s indemnity and immunity from liability under the Guernsey Trust Law (assisting Adam Al-Attar)
- Drafted an opinion and a Defence in respect of a claim for improper drawings on Funds at Lloyd’s (assisting Richard Fisher)
|2015||Called to the Bar of England and Wales|
Insolvency Lawyers’ Association
Chancery Bar Association
‘Powers of Investigation in a Cross-Border Context’ with William Trower QC, South Square Digest
‘Contingent Assets and Balance Sheet Insolvency: Evans v Jones’, International Corporate Rescue
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS
|2014-2015||City University, Bar Professional Training Course|
|2013-2014||City University, Graduate Diploma in Law|
|2009-2013||Corpus Christi College, Oxford University, BA (Hons) Classics, Congratulatory, First Class (second in year);Honour Moderations, First Class|
|1998-2009||King's College School, Wimbledon (Major Scholarship, Classics Scholarship)|
PRIZES AND SCHOLARSHIPS
|2015||Prize for grade of ‘Outstanding’ on the BPTC (Inner Temple)|
|2014||Runner-Up, 7 KBW Contract Law Prize (City University)|
|2014||Allan Levy Award (Inner Temple)|
|2014||Exhibition Award for the GDL and BTPC (Inner Temple)|
|2013||De Paravicini Prize (Oxford University)|
|2013||Haigh Prize (Corpus Christi College, Oxford)|
|2013||CE Stevens Scholarship (Oxford University)|
|2011||Hugh Oldham Scholarship (Corpus Christi College, Oxford)|
Italian (Bilingual), French (Intermediate)
Cooking, football, reading and walking